1. Creepy slash fiction authors, you were so close, but sadly Sherlock and Moriarty didn’t make out in a new episode of Sherlock. “We didn’t actually kiss,” said Cumberbatch. “It was like fist-bumping.” Sherlock EP Steven Moffat begs to differ; "We got the idea to do it from the palpable chemistry between Andrew and Benedict. We cut it right before the kiss. And the sex."
2. Rioting continues in Kiev as anti-government protesters clash with police. The Ukrainian government’s passing harsh new anti-protesting laws caused the conflict, which grew out of protests against the government’s decision to reject a free trade deal with EU so to of strengthen ties with Moscow. Now the protestors have an actual freaking catapult. For real. And the thing clearly works great.
3. During her New Year’s Eve concert at New York’s Webster Hall, Patti Smith covered Rihanna’s soul-stirrer, “Stay.” So many feelings right now.
4.Dutch speed skater Sjinkie Knegt was disqualified after he double flipped off Victor An, a member of the Russian team that won the men’s 5000m relay at the ISU European Short Track speed skating Championships in Dresden. We have videos of the race and a clip of Knegt giving An the finger. I don’t see anything wrong with this, this is how every game of Clue ends at my house, except that I normally flip the board and throw wine at the person to my left before giving everyone the finger. An and Knegt will meet again at Sochi 2014 Olympics.
Sjinkie Knegt Losing Gracefully
[h/t The Independent]
5. PBS has animated their 2003 interview with Carol Burnett and it’s as adorable as it is heart wrenching.
[h/t Laughing Squid]
6. Lily Allen’s new track, Air Balloon, now has its very own lyric video. Am I reading too much into it, or is there a strong liet motif of death in this track?