1. Hobbit fans were elated last night when Ian McKellen made a surprise appearance at a midnight screening of The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug. The crowd gave the OUT 100 honoree a standing ovation as he made his opening remarks. “I’ve seen this movie,” said the screen and stage legend. "You're going to have a wonderful time. The dragon goes on a bit long, but my golly, looks fierce."
2. So you know that show on A&E about the fake rednecks, Duck Dynasty? Well it turns out that the head of the faux-hick clan is a homophobe. In an interview with GQ, Phil Robertson, the family patriarch said some less than enlightened things on the subject of homosexuality. Robertson says his family are “Bible-thumpers who just happened to end up on television.” “It seems like, to me, a vagina—as a man—would be more desirable than a man’s anus,” Robertson tells GQ’s Drew Magary. He also equated homosexuality with bestiality. He’s issued a rather limp apology.
3. Martha Stewart threw some epic shade at Gwyneth Paltrow. When asked who is the better lifestyle coach, she or Paltrow, Stewart guffawed and said, “you have live to be a coach.”
4. Justin Bieber says his next album will be his last and then he’s retiring from music. The NME reports that Bieber told an LA radio station that his upcoming album “Journals” was be his penultimate LP. Digital Spy, however, says that these comments were made in jest. I choose to believe the former and take it as a Christmas miracle.
5. Angel Haze tried to leak her new album, Dirty Gold, today. It was only two days ago that Haze gave a March 3 release date for the LP, but Haze is apparently fed up with her label and leaked the album on SoundCloud. This worked for a few hours until the SoundCloud player was disabled.
6. Last night, Lady Gaga and Christina Aguilera performed a duet on NBC’s The Voice. The divas, who were decked out in disco garb, performed Gaga’s “Do What U Want.” Check out the video below: